Minto Cup to be Played at Langley Events Centre in 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 3, 2019
The BC Junior A Lacrosse League and Langley Events Centre are proud to announce that the prestigious Minto Cup will be returning to the LEC from August 15 to 26, 2019.
The Minto Cup features the top Junior ‘A’ teams from B.C., Alberta and Ontario and will be back in Langley for the first time since the Coquitlam Adanacs took home the title in 2016, and third time overall. The Adanacs will also be defending the title they won in August 2018 in Alberta by defeating Ontario’s Brampton Excelsiors in four games.
This is the third time the competition will be held at Langley Events Centre, having previously been staged in 2014 and 2016.
“Langley Events Centre have done such a fantastic job in holding events like these that we know it will be an amazing event, not only for the players, but for the fans as well,” BCJALL President Karl Christiansen said. “We encourage fans to keep their eyes open for more news as we get closer to the Minto Cup.”
“Having hosted the Minto Cup on two occasions, we know first-hand what a great event this, and we look forward to once again witnessing the best Canadian junior lacrosse players battle for their sport’s ultimate prize,” said Tyler Dinwoodie, Associate Director, Production Services, Langley Events Centre. “The passion, dedication and skill these athletes display makes for a fantastic sporting environment.”
The Langley Thunder organization will be partnering with Langley Events Centre to host the 2019 Minto Cup on behalf of the BCJALL.
“We would like to thank the BCJALL Board of Governors for this opportunity as we look forward to welcoming the Canadian lacrosse community to Langley for what is sure to be a first-class event,” said Ken Buchan, the President of the Langley Junior Thunder.
“We are thrilled to welcome the Minto Cup back to Langley Events Centre. The Township of Langley is a sports town and it is always exciting for our community and lacrosse fans from throughout the region to experience this caliber of competition,” said Township Mayor Jack Froese. “The 2019 Minto Cup promises to be action-packed and we look forward to seeing these hard-working teams exhibit exceptional skill, dedication and teamwork as they vie to be named Canada’s best.”
Four clubs will compete for the ultimate prize in Junior ‘A’ lacrosse; the historic Minto Cup was officially designated the national championship in 1937. The BCJALL will receive two berths in the Minto Cup - one for the Provincial Champions and one for the runner-up.
Following a press conference and meetings on August 15, the four teams will compete in round-robin play August 16 to 18. The first-place team will advance directly to the best-of-five championship series, while the second and third-place teams will face-off on August 19.
The championship series begins on August 21.
With the continual development of the Rocky Mountain Lacrosse League, which features teams from Alberta and Saskatchewan, and the always tough Ontario champions, the 2019 Minto Cup promises to be one of the most competitive in recent memory.
For more information:
Karl Christiansen, BCJALL President, 604.354.1213, firstname.lastname@example.org
Gary Ahuja, Langley Events Centre, 604.613.5242 (cell) 604.455.8830 (office), Gary@tfse.ca